Tuesday, February 20, 2007

PRSSA Bateman Competition Talk

In all honesty, the Bateman competition has been my absolute best chance to put all of my pr skills to practice. I've been amazed at how this experience has challenged and enhanced my knowledge and skills in the field of public relations. The internships I've had have been pretty good, but it's totally different when you're planning goals, objectives, and tactics totally from scratch...and also implementing them at that!

At our first team meeting, our advisor labeled me as "the glue of the team" and named me the account executive. Let me be the first to say that it's just a title. I get to handle some of the administrative duties such as turning in paperwork and sending email overveiws, but other than that - I just fill in where there's a need! It's baffling how well our team has worked together, I only hope that working with others in the working world will be this easy.

The competition's client, Family Caregiving 101, has required us to perform lots of research on the topic, since those of us on the team don't have much knowledge about the issue of caregiving. After exploring the resources in our area, we found a wealth of services and information for caregivers and have worked to connect caregivers with those services. We've implemented an awesome local web site to do just that. We also had a very successful caregiving fair where we had a panel discussion and gave local service providers a chance to share their information with attending caregivers.

As we complete the final phases of the project, I look forward using the skills I've learned in my job...that is when I get one...we'll have to save that for another post!

No comments: